The APDSF AGM was organized on the 3rd and 4th of December 2022 at the ITC Grand Hotel, Chennai.
The APDSF AGM is organized in a member country every year. However due to the pandemic it was done virtually in 2020 and 2021. It is after 2 years that a physical AGM has been organized. The aim of the AGM is primarily to apprise countries about the goings-on in the region and how we can learn from one another about things to do and what has worked for persons with Down syndrome in a country and how it can be done in one’s own country.
About APDSF – Some key points
- The APDSF is into Advocacy/lobbying for the rights of persons with Down syndrome.
- We hold a CONSULTATIVE STATUS with the Economic And Social Council (ECOSOC) of the UNITED NATIONS.
- APDSF began as a collection of members from various countries who used to meet informally once a year to discuss issues related to Down syndrome in their respective countries.
- APDSF became a formal registered body in 2017 with Mr. Ramachandran elected President.
- PDSF was registered under the Tamilnadu Societies Act and came into existence as a formal body on 4-March 2017.
The aim of the APDSF is as follows:
a. To create and develop the conditions which will enable people with Down Syndrome to live full and rewarding lives and attain their full potential in the Asia Pacific region.
b. To create Parent Support Groups across the region for parents to have a community that can support one another through any time.
c. Providing assistance to children with Down Syndrome to improve their skills and to develop their skills in sports.
d. To arrange for conferences and lecture meetings or topics of interest for Down Syndrome children/parents with Down Syndrome Children.
e. To undertake the charitable activities in connection with the Down Syndrome in the Asia Pacific region.
f. To become member of similar Federations for improving the objects of the Federation.
g. To do all such other acts, deeds and things as are incidental and conducive to the attainment of the above or any one of them.
h. Spread information about latest developments in the World of Down syndrome through our quarterly newsletter. Every member country contributes to the newsletter with information from their country which serves as a pointer for other countries in the region.