1) After the sensitization workshop on DS and Intellectual disabilities in Nov 2016 organized by CHD / DSAN supported by WHO, Action plan and Way forward on issues relevant to DS/ID submitted by DSAN to Child Health Division, Dept of Health in Dec. 2016
2) There were a series of meetings and discussions with CHD /Leprosy control division( LCD), disability management section (prevention, treatment and rehabilitation) and 10yrs action plan 2016-25 developed by Nepal government was revised , corrections added in consultation with various disability organizations including DSAN and submitted to Ministry of health through LCD in Jan 2017.
3) First meeting of Special Olympics Nepal after dissolution of the old one in Feb 2017 in presence of Mr Simon Koi, co-coordinator Asia Pacific region President DSAN Dr Lalita Joshi selected member of Kathmandu district .2nd meeting for finalization of work plan to be conducted soon
4) DSAN managed to enroll 2 children with DS in mainstream school this year.
5) List of activities of DSAN for government budget planning FY 2017/18 submitted through LCD to MOH. The activities targeted were focused on
- Awareness/data collection
- Prophylaxis, prevention and management of DS
- Early referral systems
- ANC protocol revision for high risk groups
- Specialized manpower training to support DS
- Strengthening of PPP concept
- Stenghtening of Family planning services to reduce elderly pregnancies
- Develop annual checklist for children , adolescents and elderly medical care
6) Prenatal double marker test for chromosomal defects started in the National Public Health Lab in Feb. 2017, Triple and Quadruple marker test will be added soon .Karyotyping services being conducted in Genetic Lab of Bir Hospital (Oldest Government Hospital of Nepal) since Jan 2017.
7) As pre WDSD event ENT Camp conducted on 19th March 2017, services provided for hearing assessment by Audiologist and ENT examination by Senior ENT specialists .80 people 64 - DS (aged 1yr – 32yrs) ,4 -Autism ,2 -CP and 10 -ID benefited.